Children who attend school regularly:
IMPORTANT ATTENDANCE INFORMATION
- Achieve more
- Make better progress, socially and academically
- Find school routines and expectations easier to deal with
- Enjoy learning
- Find transitions easier
The more time a child misses from school, the more learning time is lost and the more difficult it can be for them to catch up.
We know that:
- A child who arrives 10 minutes late each day loses 32½ hours learning time over a school year.
- ½ a day’s absence per week is equal to almost 4 weeks of missed lessons during the school year.
- Not all absences are for genuine illness. Some children are taken shopping, visit relatives or celebrate birthdays. THESE ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE REASONS FOR ABSENCE.
- Staying away from school can lead some children into truancy.
Attendance / Absence Table (information supplied by Children’s Services)
||Absence per week/ fortnight
||Absence per year
||Absence over 5 years
||½ day a fortnight
||½ day a week
||1½ days a fortnight
||1 day a week
||2½ days a fortnight
||1½ days a week
||3½ days a fortnight
||2 days a week